Contain of the nuts
Dietary fiber from nuts reduce the blood cholesterol.
Although it depends on the type, nuts contain at least some of these substances:
- Unsaturated fat. Experts believe that the “good” fats found in nuts, reduces “bad” cholesterol.
- Omega-3 fatty acids. Many nuts contain omega-3 fatty acids. Most of these fatty acids are found in fish, but nuts are their best plant source.
- L-arginine. Nuts contain many L-arginine. It is a substance that helps improve the health of the artery walls, thus it improves flexibility and makes them less prone to blood clots.
- Dietary fiber. All nuts contain fiber, which can lower blood cholesterol. Fiber makes you feel full and thus eat less. Also, they are thought to help prevent diabetes.
- Vitamin E. Researchers are still not sure, but thought that vitamin E can prevent the development of sediment in the arteries. This reduces the risk of heart attack or coronary artery disease.